While it has been a wonderful summer…. autumn and the beginning of school is right around the corner! The Cal Young staff is eager to greet the community and, of course, our new and returning students.
A few things to know about as we approach “Back to School Day” (August 30, 12pm– 3:35pm for 6th grade and Sept. 1, 12pm-3:35pm for 7th/8th grade)
- While students and families can attend at any time that works for them during these time spans, we will suggest times, alphabetical groupings by last name in order to prevent the crowding at 12pm each day. So, it would work best if your family could report at the following times…
- Last name A- G: 12pm- 1pm
- Last name H- P: 1pm- 2pm
- Last name Q- Z: 2pm- 3pm
- Run over or missed time block: 3pm- 3:35pm
- The MacBooks will be available for checkout to students/families for distribution. We will give more information about the MacBooks in the future (what date to actually start bringing them to school, etc.), but we would like to take advantage of this opportunity to distribute the majority of MacBooks. If you cannot make it to the “Back to School Day” event, then MacBooks will be distributed to students during school.
- Paper copies of schedules will be available as well as an opportunity to provide feedback or ask questions.
- There will be an opportunity to pay fees associated with yearbooks, track, and other general materials for students. Additionally, if you need support for school supplies, then please inquire at the fees table.
- Spirit Gear (CY t-shirts, sweatshirts) order forms will be available
Some information about the first days for students, Sept. 7 for 6th graders and Sept. 8 for all…
- Sept. 7 will be our Where Everyone Belongs (WEB) day for 6th grade students. Students can arrive at 9am and be checked in and provided breakfast. The 6th grade day WEB day will end at 3:35pm.
- NOTE: If you are a 7th or 8th grade student NEW to CYMS, then you are invited to a few orientation activities on Sept. 7th that are separate from the 6th grade activities. Please arrive at 11:45am for a quick lunch, a few activities, and a tour. The orientation activities for new 7th and 8th graders will be completed by 1:30pm.
- Sept. 8th will be the first full day for all Cal Young students.
- More information will come next week about materials to bring (or not bring) for the first few days of school. For example, we are still processing decisions about how to teacher MacBook expectations and digital citizenship content, so students start responsibly with MacBooks.
Thank you to all families for the preparation work you are doing to help students start strong. We look forward to partnering with you!