Cal Young Technology/Laptop/iPad Student Use Policy
Find the Eugene School District 4J Student General Technology, Laptop and iPad Agreements and Contracts, in the student back to school packets. This includes the Technology Use Agreements and contract, and Google Apps/Edmodo/Email/ePortfolio agreement and contract. All Students and Parents must read, and agree to conditions of use by signing and returning forms ASAP with their other back to school packet forms. See Cal Young’s Registrar in the front office if you need additional forms. The 2020-2021 forms will be available as well online here Fall, 2020.
Note: Failure to return the form will prevent students from receiving and being able to use laptops, Google Apps, and their iPads. Students will receive beginning of the year review and/or training when school begins, so getting forms in is essential.
Cal Young students are allowed to take their iPads home for supporting their classroom school work.
Students will go over these protocols and expectations with a formal lesson and instruction given at school. Students are then to share that information with their parents/guardians.
Cal Young teachers and staff use a Warnings and Strikes online document to manage acceptable student iPad use. Students who mismanage acceptable iPad use expectations have that behavior recorded and tracked, may receive minor or major referrals, and/or meet with school administrators to determine successful iPad use paths. Repeated violations may result in a daily check in/out system with restricted take-home use; length determined by administrators.
Any damage to a student assigned iPad needs to be reported immediately to Eric Schiff, Taylor Morrow, Dana Brummett, or Chris Mitchell.
Parents are encouraged to call Cal Young with any questions and/or arrange a time to meet with an administrator regarding the acceptable iPad use and take-home policy.
4J Secure Authentication/Email Sync
4J Secure Sync for student iPad video:
iOS Updates – Update when prompted
Fall 2019-20 iPad Roll-Out Schedule
- All students receive iPad in-school use form in take home packets in Homeroom. Forms are to returned by Friday, September 8th to the CY Office. Extra forms are there as well.
- All students will receive formal training and instruction during the first week on iPad use and expectations.
- All students with forms turned in begin using iPads Monday, September 11st.
- All students may take home iPads if contracts are turned in.
- Students are held responsible for their iPads being charged at the beginning of the school day. Students who need to borrow a charger to take home, can check one out from Rm. 212 at the end of the day. Borrowed chargers must be returned promptly the following morning.
iPad Cart Managers
- Students interested in being iPad cart managers can get a form from Mr. Schiff or the office. Students must complete the forms along with 2 staff signatures, forms are turned into the office. Teachers are encouraged to recommend responsible students.
- Each iPad cart room needs 2-3 cart managers for both morning check-out and afternoon check-in.
- Cart managers will have badges that allow them a 5 minute late arrival to their 1st period class, and a 5 minute dismissal from their 6th period class as part of the job.
iPad/Technology Staff and Student Resources
- 4J Instructional Technology – 4J Technology Resources for Teachers and Building
- iPad Chargers – Most classrooms have an extra iPad charger with 2 ports and cords, students can check out chargers for home use from Schiff in Rm. 212 (currently 10 available).
iPad Student Forms and Strikes Tracking
All staff will have access to Google Spreadsheets that show student iPad assignments and permissions for in-school use and take-home. These are maintained and updated by Eric Schiff and Taylor Morrow.
All staff will also have access to and encouraged to use the “Warning and Strike” Google spreadsheet to track students at all grade levels that are misusing their iPads and/or not meeting other expectations.